Black Copper Marans... 1 Roo and 1 Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hipeatall, May 19, 2010.

1. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Below is a pic of both of them 1 week ago (they were about 4 weeks old)... I'm pretty sure I have 1 girl (on left) and 1 boy (on right)?
    This is my first time with this breed so I would LOVE to hear what others have to say.
    [​IMG] Thank you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    Here are more pics of the one I think is a boy (5weeks old), I took these today...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    more pics of the one I think is a girl (5weeks old), I took these today...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, looks like 1 boy, 1 girl.

Maybe it's just the flash, but the girl looks light. Is she dark black? My girls are dark black like your roo.

5. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    It certainly looks like a boy and girl to me. This is my first time raising chicks, and I only have one black copper maran. It is a very nice-looking chick, - like a little penguin. I enjoyed your photos, as it is interesting to see how much they change over time. I sure do hope I got a pullet! [​IMG]

6. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:She is a bit lighter than the boy...

7. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:I've been taking weekly pics of these chickies so we have a "record" of what they looked like... goodness knows, I won't remember next Spring when I'm trying to figure out what I have again [​IMG] so I'm hoping the pics will help. I'm really enjoying these chicks - little penguins is right!

8. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Most of my chicks, I have no idea who is who, - they all have varying chipmunk-like patterns. I know there are welsummers, speckled sussex, and dark cornish in the mix, but i lost a few birds and don't know what I lost. At least the maran is distinctive. My DH is taking a daily movie of these chicks! We are very excited about chickens! [​IMG]

9. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    buckabucka - I just checked out your chicken coop and yard... that is one sweet chicken house you have there... Wow! You have some happy lucky chickies!

10. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks! We still have to finish sealing up the run, but the coop is ready now. We'll probably keep them indoors for 4-6 weeks, - it is still chilly here.

Today's movie:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by