Black Copper Marans, 3 months, what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Krete, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Krete

Krete New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Since it is really difficult to take a decent photo of a chicken in motion, i choose to post a video. Maybe someone can tell, how many roos/hens I might have. So far one stands out as a pullet, but do I really have 5 roos??? Any comments appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  2. Krete

Krete New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Anyone, please :)

3. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    1st one looks like a rooster, 2nd one a hen, 3rd one is hard to tell, 4th one on the left is a hen, 5th looks like a rooster. Roosters will have a bigger comb and it will appear redder then the hens. Also rooster will have thicker legs and have pointy saddle feathers (the feathers just before the tail). If you have a sports setting on your camera that might help to take better pictures. I usually sit out with some corn and a line and sit and wait to try and get good photos.

4. Krete

Krete New Egg

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks, but what about the colour? I know that hens are supposed to be black and only one of mine is black.

5. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Yeah I know what you mean. It is kind of hard to get a super good look at them since they are moving. If you go by coloring then yeah 4 roosters 1 hen. I tired going back to the video and pausing it, that 2nd one at first glance looks like a hen but after pausing the video it is possible it is a rooster.

6. Dawns Funy Farm

Dawns Funy Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    i think your right five roosters and one hen sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by