Black Copper Marans / Ameracunas Why The Difference??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chayton, Nov 25, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    We started 12 Ameracunas and 12 Black Copper Marans. Today is hatch day(21) and the Ameracuns (5 have completly hatched) and 4 more pipped and when they pip they are out of the shell pretty quick. The Marans (1 completely hatched) 6 pipped are very slow to make progress. One Maran has been pipped for 6 hours now and a couple others have been pipped for at least 3 hours.

Why the difference between the two? Do the Marans typically take longer to break out, should I be helping

Sorry for being so clueless but this is the first hatch for the family.

Any and all recommendations are welcome

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Marans eggs tend to be thicker shelled than others. I do not recommend assistance, as it tends to lead to a reduction in the vitality of your overall flock health later on.

It could also be a sign that your incubator had a temperature/humidity gradient and the Ameraucana just happened to be on the "better" side.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    marans also need a higher humidity like 70% to hatch and 60% during incubation. This what was told to me by a breeder [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I incubate and hatch my Marans alongside my other breeds 30-35% for the first 18 days and then bump it up to 65% for the last 3 days. They are almost always the last to hatch out, but they eventually do. I don't help them hatch. If they can't make it out on their own there is almost always a reason they couldn't make it out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep what they said, mine to take forever to get out I often hatch them with my Ameraucana that lives with them and is for olive eggs so the sire is the same but those are always the first to pip, zip and hatch often by many hours even 12 before the first maran egg hatches.

Personally I have assisted a few, that were so beaten up by the chicks in my small hatcher that I felt the need to intervein. They are quiet healthy and unreconisable from the ones that hatched on their own, and I can say from having helped a few chicks here and there that the shell was much thicker than all of my other breeds, and the membrane seems thicker as well if that is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by