Black Copper Marans: Boys/Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kari_dawn, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, I suspect two of my three BCMs to be roos at this point. They are between 4-5 weeks old, and may be showing a hint of copper coloring coming in. I just wanted opinions from you lovely BYCrs.

Bird 1: Light leg feathering, shorter legs than the other two.

[​IMG]

Comb Shot

[​IMG]

Bird 2: Heaviest leg feathering of the three.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird 3: the lightest leg feathering of all three, this bird has very long legs, and is bigger than the other two birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...now that I am looking at all these photos together, I am kinda concerned that all three of them are roosters [​IMG]

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    I think all 3 are roos but bcm can be hard to tell. Hopefully you will get a few more votes...................

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All look to be girls but the last one.

BCM's are pretty easy to sex when they start to get shoulder/breast feathers, the males should be quite noticeably more prominent of combs than the females, but the last one is hard to say since I can't see it from the side.

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ask and you shall recieve. here is a profile of the last bird, and legs thrown in for good measure. This is the bird I suspected early on of being a roo, but I waiver back and forth from minute to minute [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I am no expert, but by that age I KNEW the roos, well most of them. They look like pullets to me.

In the back of this pic are the roos at that age. Sparse feathers, no tails big red combs. The girls are in the fore ground

[​IMG]

one roo had tons of color too....

[​IMG]

pullet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope that helps [​IMG]

How did you get three pullets? [​IMG]

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    WOW those look WAY different than the girls. These birds just turned four weeks old I believe. I certainly hope these are all girls...my babies are all hatchery birds...I got them as sexed pullets, but you know how that goes sometimes. I still have to make sure.

P.S.- Thank you for the comparison pictures. They are very helpful....it makes me feel a little better, but these birds have me stumped. Some days, I think they are all girls, sometimes, I think every one of them is a boy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I remember the first FBCMs I hatched out. Told my husband I thought there were 4 roos and a pullet. Nope. 4 pullets and a roo. LOL

They look girlie to me. I even have some mixes with a BCM roo and Game hens and the little roos mark just like dad and real early on.

I should have you hatch for me. I have a roo farm going on around here.

8. McCoop

McCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ramona
    I say pullets. I raised two BCM chicks this spring one ended up a roo and comb was larger from the get go. Although females end up with waddles and a g:flood size comb it is nothing like his.

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    What about behavior? The last bird in the series is a chest bumper, and an explorer. I have read about BCMs and they seem like my kind of bird, but you never know until you actually get them. Is SHE just dominant, or is HE a rooster?

Those of you that have them, how are they personality wise? Are they dominant birds? Where do they usually fall in the pecking order if any of you have them in a mixed flock?

It seems like the majority of you are voting pullets, which makes me feel alot better...but Im still worried.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, they all look like pullets [​IMG] The last photos confirm it.

Chest bumping is done by either gender in fact most of my pullets do it way more than my boys.

The ONLY gender thing I seem to find a pattern in is that males are almost always sweeter and more brave than females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by