Black Copper Marans - boys or girls!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elclavel, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Elclavel

Elclavel New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    We have two 6-week old black copper marans chicks we hatched and my husband and I are trying to figure out their gender. They are very similar in size, appearance, and temperament. We'd love your input on what you think!

[​IMG]
    The two chicks July 28, 2014 (6 weeks old)

[​IMG]
    Chick #1

[​IMG]
    Chick #2

2. pipchick1

pipchick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Ok you check the wings. If one chicken has longer wings then the other, it is a hen. If one chicken has shorter wings than the other, it is a rooster. If they both have the same wing feather length, they are both roosters or hens. Or you can just wait till' they are older[​IMG]

3. pipchick1

Jul 28, 2014
    Oh and I need some advice too about hatching eggs, my eggs were suppost to hatch yesterday but they haven't. This is my first hatching soo I don't know a lot. Just reply to me ASAP.

4. Elclavel

Elclavel New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    These two were our first to hatch too - very exciting. Ours hatched out a couple days later than expected. I guess 21 days is probably just the average. I did start to see the eggs "wiggle" a little and heard peeps coming from the eggs before I noticed a tiny crack when the first began to pip. The first chick took about 14 hours to hatch, but a few hours later, the second one only took about 15 minutes. They are so fun to watch grow.

Good luck and keep me posted!

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Elclavel,

You have two cockerels.

Oh...and I can see that #2 has yellow skin. The standard for the Black Copper Marans is White skin. These were likely mixed with another breed at some point.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. pipchick1

Jul 28, 2014
    I need some more advice. My eggs aren't wobbling anymore ! And I don't hear any chirping! I really need help!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You have two cockerels.

8. Elclavel

Elclavel New Egg

Jul 28, 2014

9. Elclavel

Elclavel New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks for the info. We've had chickens only a couple of years now, and are always learning something new! Looking closer at #2, I do see some yellowish coloration. My BCs came from a place that sold them and buff wheatons... Hmmmm.

10. Elclavel

Elclavel New Egg

Jul 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by