Black Copper Marans - boys or girls!?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Elclavel, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Elclavel

Elclavel Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    We have two 6-week old black copper marans chicks we hatched and my husband and I are trying to figure out their gender. They are very similar in size, appearance, and temperament. We'd love your input on what you think!

[​IMG]
    The two chicks July 28, 2014 (6 weeks old)

[​IMG]
    Chick #1

[​IMG]
    Chick #2

2. pipchick1

pipchick1 In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Ok you check the wings. If one chicken has longer wings then the other, it is a hen. If one chicken has shorter wings than the other, it is a rooster. If they both have the same wing feather length, they are both roosters or hens. Or you can just wait till' they are older[​IMG]

3. pipchick1

pipchick1 In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    Oh and I need some advice too about hatching eggs, my eggs were suppost to hatch yesterday but they haven't. This is my first hatching soo I don't know a lot. Just reply to me ASAP.

4. Elclavel

Elclavel Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    These two were our first to hatch too - very exciting. Ours hatched out a couple days later than expected. I guess 21 days is probably just the average. I did start to see the eggs "wiggle" a little and heard peeps coming from the eggs before I noticed a tiny crack when the first began to pip. The first chick took about 14 hours to hatch, but a few hours later, the second one only took about 15 minutes. They are so fun to watch grow.

Good luck and keep me posted!

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar 6 Years

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Elclavel,

You have two cockerels.

Oh...and I can see that #2 has yellow skin. The standard for the Black Copper Marans is White skin. These were likely mixed with another breed at some point.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. pipchick1

pipchick1 In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    I need some more advice. My eggs aren't wobbling anymore ! And I don't hear any chirping! I really need help!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You have two cockerels.

8. Elclavel

Elclavel Hatching

Jul 28, 2014

9. Elclavel

Elclavel Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks for the info. We've had chickens only a couple of years now, and are always learning something new! Looking closer at #2, I do see some yellowish coloration. My BCs came from a place that sold them and buff wheatons... Hmmmm.

10. Elclavel

Elclavel Hatching

Jul 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: