Black copper Marans chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by corewassen87, Jan 29, 2016.

1. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    In about 3 weeks I'll finally be adding some bcms to my flock. I'm going to be picking out my own day olds and was curious if there is anything in particular I should be looking for to hopefully get pullets instead of cockerels. Any help is appreciated!

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Look for activity. You want healthy, perky chicks. Chicks are very sensitive and can die easily. Get hearty good looking active chicks. Check their eyes, nose and bottom. You want their eyes to be clear and free from any dripage. Make sure their nose isn't running too. And their bottoms, check for cleanness. Pasting can be a big problem in some chicks. Also don't pick any chicks that seem to be "picking" on the others. Usually that is a tełł tale sign of a baby feisty cockerel. Hope that helped.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At a day old, there isn't really any difference visually between male and female BCM.

I simply would pick a middle sized chick (males tend to be a bit larger, but not always), and middle activity. Not listless but not the most friendly and outgoing.

But at 1 day, it may simply be a matter of 50% odds.

LofMc

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have to agree with Lady of Mc - if there was a fool proof way of picking at one day or so - NO ONE would be stuck with unwanted cockerels

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by