Black Copper Marans chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Newbie chick 30, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Newbie chick 30

Newbie chick 30 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I have recently found a breeder selling these chicks...he is asking $10 a chick...is that high? I have been trying to do some reading on this breed and I saw that it is a very rare breed...has anyone heard anything about them...own some? What are their dispositions like? Do they really lay the "chocolate" eggs? Anyone have a good or bad experience with them? Is there tell tale sign that the chicks are legit?

Thanks for reading!! [​IMG]

2. jason389

jason389 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Dont know but I have been looking here locally and couldnt find anyone selling them either, can you post or pm me the site where it is. Thanks

3. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    This a local breeder...he is located in Ocala, FL. I found him on a local free advertising website.

4. jason389

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Thanks

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, they really lay chocolate eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

$10 a chick is okay. Around here they range from $6-10, but I'm sure it varies. The thing to do is ask what lines they're from and make sure to see how dark the eggs really are.

They're not super rare though, and I own and breed them. They're very docile, calm, and pretty quiet too. Get along well with others, the roosters are friendly, they're a nice large and meaty breed, and good layers of BIG eggs too.

To tell if they're legit, as to see the seller's eggs. If they're as dark as mine shown in the photo or near to it, they're good. If the chicks are black with a white underside and with fuzzy legs, they're legit. [​IMG]

6. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks! That was very helpful and answered my questions. [​IMG] DH is freaking out about $10 for a straight run chick...figured I would look into it more to ease his mind. LOL

7. jason389

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Thanks for the info been looking and posting on different sites hoping that I would get a reply. Nothing yet.

8. jason389

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Would buy a few if there were some close by.

9. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I breed them to but I am in Hamilton Ga

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jason389

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Really nice looking eggs, wish you were close