Black Copper Marans Cornish Cross

TheCakeIsAWolf

Chirping
Oct 11, 2017
Northern Virginia
Does anyone have any Black Copper Marans X Cornish hybrids? If so do they retain the somewhat dark egg colour of the Marans or does it look like a standard grocery store brown egg? Does breeding a Cornish rooster to Marans hens yield sex linked birds? I'm looking to have meet birds who have eggs which I can differentiate from Icelandic Chicken Eggs to avoid accidentally raising Icelandic cross breeds.

They will get the dark egg color if you cross a Marans male to a light laying female... I haven't done Cornish crosses... but have had other accidental matings and another person I know who took one of my roosters... all his next generation laid dark eggs.

I believe it MUST come from the male... but generally, I think brown trumps white genetically. I know in the Marans breed, the sire effect the egg shade.

I don't think they will give you a sex link cross... but I am here to learn. :pop

Egg color comes from both parents. This is why Marans breeders want males from dark eggs. It carries that. Mate it to another dark and you've got dark. Mate it to very light to white you've got tan. Mate it to tan you've got brown. Take the egg color of what the male was hatched from and the egg color of bird it's mating to and think half of each and that's the most prominent color the offspring will carry.

No they will not be sex linked. CornishX carry recessive white. You'd get mainly black birds.

Back
Top Bottom