1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black copper marans eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LisaFoster, Jan 12, 2013.

1. LisaFoster

LisaFoster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Someone recently gave me three beautiful black copper marans hens, and a black copper marans rooster. I absolutely love them. They didn't lay for the first few weeks after we got them, so I put a fake egg in their nest, and about a week later they started laying a couple of eggs every other day. The eggs are dark brown, but they are speckled with dark spots. It looks like the coloring is just globbed in spots instead of being spread over the entire egg. Could this be because they haven't laid in a while, or from the cold weather, or because they are three years old?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

It could be any of those things, but it is likely just the signature of that hen. I have BCMs and they all have different looking eggs, some speckled like yours, some smooth and dark, some are dark and chalky. Each hen does her own decorating and it is fairly consistent all of her life (except for getting lighter as they age.)

3. LisaFoster

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Thank you so much. I really enjoy the temperment of the bcm rooster. He is so gentle and polite. They are are real pleasure.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You're quite welcome. I love the BCM roo I have also. His name has not been decided on because nothing has really fit. He tried on Gene, John Wayne, Bear, Phillipe (Fil ee' pay,) and now, Gregory Peck.

BTW

Welcome to BYC!

5. LisaFoster

Oct 23, 2012
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Thank you...I named my roo Pierre...lol It fits him pretty well. He's such a gentleman

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by