Black Copper Marans from Meyers Hatchery

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens_in_fallriver, Sep 29, 2011.

1. chickens_in_fallriver

chickens_in_fallriver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    I have a small flock of less then 10 birds. I have been wanting to add a Black Copper Maran due to its dark color egg. They are not easy to come by and I just don't have the room to incubate 12 dozen.

I have read that if you want a Black Copper Maran you should get a Bev Davis or Wade Jeanie Lines.

When I was reading Meyers Hatchery's description on there Black Copper Maran, it say they come from the Bev Davis or Wade Jeanie Lines. Do you think that they have maintained the quality in those lines? Has anyone recently purchased a BCM from Meyers? And how was the egg color? Pictures would be great.

Meyers Description.
    Marans originated in western France in a town by the same name and are known for one thing- their dark brown eggs. Black Copper Marans eggs are even darker than other Marans breeds. As with all dark brown egg layers, the eggs are the darkest at the beginning of the laying cycle. The eggs will lighten slightly then return to darkest color after a period of rest. Black Copper Marans do well on free range as they do not cause as much damage through heavy scratching. These feathered legged birds are fast growers and make a good duel purpose breed. Our breeders originated from Bev Davis and Wade Jeane lines.

Due to the 3 chick minimum, I also purchased two Polish's.

I look forward to your comments.

David R.

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

On a sticky in the Marans section of my notebook: Marans breeders of note - Bev Davis, Wade Jeane, Ron Presley, Tom Culpepper, Channing Grisham.

You can buy Marans eggs on eBay without having to get more than a dozen. All of my Marans eggs are developing; hopefully I won't have a power outage or a case of itchy fingers. [​IMG]

I hope your chicks do well!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  3. Crowberry1982

Crowberry1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I have two BCM hens that I bought from a guy not too far from me. He got them from meyers. They are actually kind of nice. They are all black with the copper on the neck and head. They have feathered legs and feathers only on the outside toe as they should have. They also have a bit of a green sheen. However, one of them has black eyes which would make her a cull. But I'm not showing/breeding them so it's not a big deal for me. As for egg color they are not laying yet. Should be close though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her eyes look dark brown zoomed in, but just looking at her they look all black
    [​IMG]

My EE snuck in this pic if you can see her.
    [​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by