Black Copper Marans gender???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 7&8, Oct 14, 2013.

1. 7&8

7&8 Songster

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG][​IMG][IMG

Hi all. I'm new to this breed, Black Copper Marans. I bought two fertile eggs from a local breeder for my bantam Leghorn to hatch; she's so small, she can only handle a couple LF eggs. The two in question are 10 weeks old. One has a comb & wattles, and the other has no sign of either. The one with the comb also has a bit of copper hackling.

I've read that this breed may or may not grow a comb, so I don't know if the absence of a comb is a true indicator of a pullet or not. Is it safe to believe that the young bird with the comb is a cockerel, and the one without a comb is a pullet?

Thanks in advance! And apologies for the poor photo quality...they are wicked difficult to photograph!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. KaylaBird

KaylaBird In the Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I don't have enough experience with this breed or sexing to be sure, as I have never had a chick grow into a cockerel. But based on what I have seen here, my vote would be that you've got two pullets. I feel like if it was a cockerel, the comb and waddle would be a little more developed and there would be other signs as well. But, don't take my word for it. I could be completely wrong. [​IMG]

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Hard to tell but looks male to me.

Best wishes.

4. Dawns Funy Farm

Dawns Funy Farm Chirping

Mar 6, 2013
    is there any color leakage coming in on the wings of the one with the larger comb? if so then a rooster for sure but with the pics i see nothing that is really screaming roo yet maybe in a few more weeks or better pics of that one

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't see any pointed hackle, sickle, or saddle feathers, and the comb isn't particularly red. They aren't showing the typical coloring of a BCM rooster, either. So, although the legs on the one with the larger comb are rather thick, I think (for now) that you have two pullets. One is just maturing faster than the other.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I think you have two pullets. I'm not seeing any definite rooster traits. Post some more photos in a few weeks, and I'll give another guess.

7. 7&8

7&8 Songster

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hey all - thank you for the thoughtful replies!

I will definitely post new pics in a few weeks. I am agreeing with the general consensus, that I have two pullets. When they hatched, one was ginormous compared with the other, so maybe the comb / and wattles being more developed on the one is another example of a difference in genetics or whatever.

Not minding the thought of two pullets as I know where there's a nice cockerel for future breeding!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: