Black Copper Marans hen laid almost white egg

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I have 3 bcm hens in with my barred oe to get the eggs darker I was thinking. Well today I got one oe and one of my bcms was in the box and she jumped out. I went back like 15 min later and she got out and there was a smaller egg and it was almost white. It's lighter than my rir and br eggs. Why did she do this? Did she forget to paint the egg today?

No chance it was another bird?

My Marans do sometimes lay light eggs, but never anything lighter than plain brown, and usually speckled. Are their eggs usually light, or dark? Mine usually lay quite dark. I suppose it's possible, but I'd be looking for another suspect if at all possible.

Otherwise, might just be a glitch in the system. They should return to normal soon, whatever normal is for her.

Sounds like you have an anomaly then. My eggs are really light now too, but still darker than my standard brown layers. Maybe it's the time of the year. Mine are just about to kick into gear.

It probably just moved down the track too fast to get "painted." Nothing to worry about.

If the egg is a normal brown or a tad darker, that's fine. It sometimes happens.

If it is truly white or light brown, I'd worry.

The hen not being a Marans, at least not purebred.
wink.png
It has happened before. . . Someone a little while ago asked about a white egg laying "Marans" who actually had very few traits of a true French Marans.

Quote:
It's got a little color to it. More like a pink. She should be pure, the guy i bought her from said he got them from a breeder in Newnan Ga. And I looked and there is a breeder that was selling marans. Maybe she will pick back up. If not into the eating egg pen she goes.

Quote:
Gotcha. I thought you meant worried health wise.

I suppose if the original poster gets them regularly it may not be a real Marans, or at least not a great one, but if it's just an occasional problem, it might not be a big deal. I wouldn't want to use it for breeding Marans, but for Olive Egger/ Easter Eggers, should be just fine.

Quote:
Gotcha. I thought you meant worried health wise.

I suppose if the original poster gets them regularly it may not be a real Marans, or at least not a great one, but if it's just an occasional problem, it might not be a big deal. I wouldn't want to use it for breeding Marans, but for Olive Egger/ Easter Eggers, should be just fine.

Yea these three are not going into my marans pen. Unless something extra kicks in with them. As of now I'm just going to use them for oes.

Back
Top Bottom