Black Copper Marans Hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindacollins, Oct 3, 2016.

1. lindacollins

lindacollins New Egg

Oct 3, 2016
    I have a BCM hen that is about 8 months old and laid her first egg at 26 weeks. Has only laid 3 eggs sporadically and has not laid anything in about 4 weeks. She did have what I thought was a rubber egg come out of her and that was the last thing she laid. Any ideas???

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens! Now I am going to barrage you with questions, so be prepared. How many hours of daylight are you getting? Do you have other hens that are laying? Do they free range, therefor maybe hiding eggs? What are they eating? Ok, I am done. Good luck figuring out what her hangup is and I hope you enjoy BYC.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When a pullet starts out laying and then quits, and it happens to coincide with the shortened daylight, I tend to see that as the reason for her lack of eggs.

One cannot rule out other problems. Unless your BCM is acting sick or "off" in some way, I suggest you accept that your girl will not be producing any more eggs until the days begin to lengthen again after February.

4. kaperi

kaperi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    My 1 1/2 year old red girl stopped laying before summer and didn't start since. She is in perfect shape and i feed her fresh everyday. She roams free during the evening and seems very healthy. What can cause that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by