Black Copper Marans Hen with possible resporatory infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beehappy4ever, Dec 12, 2012.

1. beehappy4ever

beehappy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a black copper marans hen with what I believe is a respiratory issue. She is about a year old although I did not raise her as a chick but got her from a breeder and was told she is a year. I have had her a couple weeks. She has been in a pen with 2 other hens I bought her with and a BCM rooster that was also in quarantine. The other 3 birds are having no issues (so far [​IMG]) yesterday morning I came out to find her acting sickly sounding a little wheezy. I pulled her from the pen and brought her inside and is isolated in my shower right now. Here are the symptoms.

Slight wheezy sound
    Milky watery poo that has now started really sticking to her down although her vent is clear
    watery eyes and nostrils
    Lack of appetite or thirst. From what I can tell she has not eaten and drank very very little. I have offered her scrambled eggs, Greek plain yogurt mixed with chick crumble, grow gel, crumble, and bread. Nothing has tempted her that I have tried.

I have tetroxy HCA-280 (oxytetracycline HCI) Antibiotic. It is a soluble powder and if I cant get her to drink not sure how I am going to get it into her. I am afraid to force her to drink and end up aspirating her airway or something.

I also have Vitamins & Electrolytes that I have mixed with some water that is available to her but she hasn't drank any.

I also have Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) drinking water solution, 12.5%

Outside of these items I wouldn't have anything else available till tomorrow so not sure if any of this will help her. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am tempted to bath her to get her down clean from the poop but am afraid of making her sicker so at this point besides isolation and providing food and water I have not really treated her for anything.

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Gonna paste from my last post, which was to another on here, then return in a bit w/ more information:

:: begin paste ::
    Immediately, you can replace their water with an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) at the rate of four teaspoons to each gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). The tannin from the apple helps to reduce the viscosity of mucus, which will help your birds to more easily expel it, and 'cuts through' any coating w/in the mouth, throat and intestines, helping them to more easily absorb nutrients/vitamins and any medication(s) they may require. This also boosts their immune systems, and is a treatment for respiratory diseases, and the toxins that botulism produces (which is one of the most poisonous things known to mankind), and will help them if they've been exposed other poisons, or suffer from some other manner of toxicity. The acidity, which should be 5~6 pH, also creates a hostile environment for internal parasites. And, it won't harm a single feather on any of your birds.
    :: end paste ::

This applies to all your birds, rather than just the one that is known to have symptoms.

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Be sure to clean up and change your shoes prior to approaching either flock, and between each, as difficult as this may be, until/unless the cause is known to not be contagious. Disinfection is always a good idea, including all equipment, and water supplies. Hit all the things you touch regularly, including faucets, switches, phones, handles, etc.

I believe, based upon these symptoms, that you can rule out influenza, and infectious coryza, however ...

Avian infectious bronchitis (IB) is an acute and highly contagious respiratory disease of chickens. The disease is caused by avian infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), a coronavirus, and characterized by respiratory signs including gasping, coughing, sneezing, tracheal rales, and nasal discharge. In young chickens, severe respiratory distress may occur. In layers, respiratory distress, nephritis, decrease in egg production, and loss of internal (watery egg white) and external (fragile, soft, irregular or rough shells, shell-less) egg quality are reported.[1][2]

... if this is the cause? It is highly contagious, and antibiotics are only useful for preventing secondary infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by