Black Copper Marans Hybrid

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hazeldazel, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Hazeldazel

Hazeldazel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    I just bought two pullets that are Black Copper Marans hybrids: A BCM cock sired them with, I think, Barred Plymouth Rocks. Does anyone know what the dominant genes are and what color eggs I can expect? I also purchased a silkie/chochin mix cock...any predictions?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If a BCM was the father and BRs were the mother then the pullets would be nice dark egg laying black Sexlinks. The little Silchin roo should be pretty cool too, what kind of predictions are you asking for on him ?

3. Hazeldazel

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    Size...abundance of plummage, etc. He's very sweet natured.

4. Hazeldazel

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    You called him Silchin...is this a common hybrid?

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No Its just a cute catchy little name I made up for mine. Silkie traits differ from cross to cross. I had one Silchin pullet as I call them that was from a Mottled Cochin roo on a White Silkie hen and she was Solid black with pretty much the same body of a cochin, but she had a beard and a little walnut comb I guess, but she didnt inherit the black skin which is uncommon for silkie crosses as most of them do get the black skin and most of them get a little tuft on there heads too.

Here is one of my Silkie cross birds that I have now, she was an adult when I bought her so I dont know what she was crossed with, but you can see that she did get the dark skin and the little head fuft. Those are BCM chicks that she hatched.
    [​IMG]

And then I have two more that I hatched that are young pullets now and their mothers could be either the hen pictured above, a black silkie, or a white silkie. And I think a BC Marans roo was the father but they hatched out with the shape and comb of a regular bird like the BCMs and they had feathered legs and the black skin. One of them is kinda Brown Red colored and I really like her, the other is kinda gold with black penciling and I think shes kinda ugly but anyway, that just goes to show that the silkie traits inherit differently from cross to cross.

6. Hazeldazel

Sep 24, 2009
    Washington, Connecticut
    I named my "Silchin" Cliff Lee...he seems to like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by