Black Copper Marans info?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Want Less, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    We've had an interest in Black Copper Marans for a while now and would like to add a few to our small flock this upcoming year. We have no interest in showing, so finding top of the line birds isn't important, but we would like "decent" birds just in case we want to hatch out a few eggs at some point (for ourself, not to sell). Our chickens are "pet egg layers" and having some darker eggs would be fun... [​IMG]

We're in eastern NC.... anyone know of any BCM breeders around? Or reputable ones to order from? We'd probably be looking for 4-5 girls and one roo.

Just from skimming through posts, I'm not sure if the big hatcheries that have BCM are decent quality... anyone know?

Also, can anyone shed any light on what we'd expect to pay for some decent BCMs?

In fact, any and all info you guys can provide about BCMs would be wonderful [​IMG] I've read in several places that the roosters are generally pretty docile... true?

Thanks!!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, never trust hatcheries to have good Black Coppers, even the few who actually carry that line. On that note, don't trust Gabbard Farms either. . .

I don't know about your local area, but you could try asking in the Marans thread, your state's thread in Where am I? Where are you? and you could also look around Craigslist.

Also remember, there are few people who actually show Marans, as they're not even APA accepted yet, so don't worry about that part. . . Most people just breed them for egg color anyway.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have Blue Copper and Black Copper Marans but have a long waiting list for chicks and eggs. I am 15 miles from the NC border below Tryon NC.
    I am updating my website right now so some links may not work but I can send photos if you email me.

4. Want Less

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Thank you for the info! Unfortunately Tryon NC is more than 6 hours from us, we're looking for Marans east of Raleigh (We're in New Bern) to avoid shipping but may have to go the shipping route if I dont find anything.

I tried posting in the Marans thread but so far no responses. [​IMG] Hopefully we'll find something!

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I know how hard they are to find. I have people drive from FL, GA, TN, VA and your state to get some from me. They are a great breed but that is why I have such a long waiting list. I also try to keep some for myself each year to make sure I am still getting good birds from the hatches.
    Good luck on your search![​IMG]

6. Want Less

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:Its looking like its going to be more difficult finding a local breeder than I thought! How frustrating! haha!

Can anyone recommend a good breeder that will ship?

7. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I have BCM as well. If you look up my name on here, you wll see lots and lots of happy members as well. My hens have stopped laying rightnow ans I am out of stock as well for chicks to ship. Keep me in mind as I hope they start to lay soon. My eggs are between a 6-8 on the scale with most being in the 6 range.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe GreenFire Farms ships, but they're not selling any right now.

Like I said, your only chances are with places like Craigslist. . . Over here in WA there are still people selling chicks, but I believe WA state has a lot of colorful egg fanatics, so it is natural that there are a lot of Marans owners.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Depends on what you want them for..... My bird from McMurray was an accident... The bird wasn't listed on their inventory and I got it in a rare breeds assortment... That was the jumping off point for me... that bird laid a HUGE terracotta egg for me every day. I had her for nearly 3 years before giving her to a friend to make room for my wade/davis stuff... I was not displeased in any way with my Cuckoo bird that I recieved from then

m and If I wanted lots of terra cotta eggs I would be tempted to order agian... The eggs were very predicatable... there would be breakfast...They are terracotta colored not the dark chocolate of the marans. Though they lack the leg feathering I was certainly happy at the time.. I hadn't heard of a Black Copper yet... I then ordered later from several hatcheries what they called marans....I didn't have the same opinion... At the time all that was offered was cuckoo. I ordered from Welp and Ideal.. Niether was much more than a feather legged barred rock... The barring wasn't good either... I rather miss that good Cuckoo... She was a good bird. She looked like the ones in the pictures you see..without feathers... She would give some of these birds a run for their money... If you are thinking hatchery...I don't know how their stock is now...but before the marans craze entered my head I got pretty lucky with them. They may also carry BCM's by now. Here is what I scared up so far in North Carolina.. they do a lot of good business I hear.

North Carolina:
    S and S Poultry
    Steve and Sharon Ashman
    [email protected]
    Eastern, NC
    NPIP #: Not Certified
    Breeds: Chickens in Cuckoo & Black Copper Marans, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Dark Cornish, Standard Cochin, & Ameraucana. Turkeys in Royal Palm, Beltsville Small White, White Holland, Midget White, Bourban Red, & Standard Bronze. Ducks in Muscovy & Gray Indian Runner. Geese in White Embden & Toulouse. Corturnix Quail, Jumbo Pearl Guineas, Peafowl in White and Indain Blue & Ringneck Pheasants

http://www.sandspoultry.com/

they are also BYCers here: Steve_of_sandspoultry

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:Hi, if you ever travel to Georgia, we'd be interested in helping you. Presently I don't have a grouping for sale, but I might in the future. Price will vary with what you'll see for sale and will depend upon age, quality, etc. and circumstances. Please pm me if you want more information and feel free to look at our reputation in the new and old feedback system. Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by