Black Copper Marans Lines

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moosplace, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Moosplace

Moosplace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2007
    WHat is the difference between the bcm from prather that are clean legged and the ones from lets say Bev that are featherlegged????
    thanks

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

French Standard is Feather Legged. I personally think they look unkempt with feathered legs and prefer all my fowl to have clean legs. Which I guess is a plus for me since those BCMS are cheaper than the feathered legs!!!

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    They get dookie stuck to their foot feathers.

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

When the Marans were taken to Britain in the 1930s (? about then). The chap who introduced them preferred the cuckoo variety & clean legs, so he bred them like this & this is how they are in the British Standards. However the most common colour of Marans in France was & still is the copper black. As the French Standards require feather legs & most copper blacks originate from France copper blacks without leg feathering are probably considered less directly French stock than their feathered legs counterparts.

That said. I've spent plenty of time in France, where Copper Black Marans are pretty much a usual farmyard chicken. IMHO the French public, rather than show people, care more about the colour of the eggs & the carcass than they care about type & standards. [​IMG]

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Thanks for the insight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by