Black Copper Marans or Black Austrolorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tdorer, Oct 5, 2016.

1. tdorer

tdorer New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    I purchased two of these lovely ladies a few weekends ago (they look identical). I was told they were Black Copper Marans but am becoming concerned I was cheated on the breed. I am unsure of age but know they are not producing eggs yet. I wish they were because then it would be a no brainer. I understand that not all BCM have the feathered legs and feet because they are not part of the French lineage. I also understand that they can sometimes be over melanised causing them to be all black. Also sometimes with age their copper hackles come in. The gentleman I purchased them from said he bought them through Townline Hatchery but when I confronted him about the questionable breed, he said that they may have been the couple birds he purchased from someone else. I have tried the Chicken Keeping 101 group on Facebook and some people said they were BCM while others said they were Austrolorps or Black Jersey Giants (very doubtful of that). I need a definite response before I freak out. I just wish they would start laying. Below I posted a full body picture, a picture of the bottom of ones feet, and a close up of the head/eyes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Australorp

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Look exactly like my Australorps. Do they have a kinda greenish sheen to their feathers that shows up in the sunlight?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but I do think they're Aussies [​IMG].

My Marans are heavier, and the tails are lower set. And by this age, they should have color in the hackles.

You can keep them until they lay, just to be sure......

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorp

6. lpyrbby

lpyrbby Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in that group and offered my thoughts there as well. Glad to see you made it to BYC.

That sucks about the seller! He should have been more upfront :(

I do love my BA though, so maybe it's not a lost cause.

7. stewandhisgirls

stewandhisgirls Just Hatched

Sep 10, 2016
    New Brunswick, Canada
    They don't resemble my BCM's so I think you were right to question it :(

8. tdorer

tdorer New Egg

Oct 5, 2016
    well crap [​IMG]I guess I will keep them until they start laying just in case! but if they're BA I don't want them. I'm looking for the chocolate eggs. I already have sex links and a Wyandotte laying lighter brown eggs

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The good think is folks are always looking for point of lay pullets, so you should be able to sell them easily.

10. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, point of lay pullets are always in high demand and easy to sell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by