Black Copper Marans- Pricing.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kennyog, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    What is a fair price for them? I have seen chicks for $12.00 a piece. Hatching eggs at $75.00 a dozen. Why are they so expensive? Thank you for your replies!

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow. They must be rare to command that price.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The good ones are pretty rare, but there's a lot out there that have been bred willy nilly trying to cash in on the BC marans craze without regard to egg color or how the birds look. You need to do your homework on who you're buying from and what kind of birds they really have.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:What she said!

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:AMEN!

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Supply & demand. When the supply is far short of the demand, the "must haves" go crazy and pay a fortune for what ever is offered. The "smart people" call anything a "Black Copper" and coin the money in.
    Result some people get rich quick, other get ripped off, any many have no idea.
    David

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    The eggs are nothing short of amazing if you get a good one and like rich burgundy eggs... I get some once in a while that make you think of Dorthy off the wizard of Oz's ruby red shoe!!! I like the color... Everybody gets what they pay for. Do your homework... I can recommend breeders that I have had great experiences with. I will tell you that... you need to know what you want... More eggs, big birds, dual purpose, quicker layers, or just dark rubies... It is all about what you want and the color of the birds you like. Marans come in many colors... As for me... The price is neglegible... A heart wants what a heart wants... I would easily pay 40 dollars for a good bird so paying 80 for two isn't a stretch at all... and 12 eggs shipped carefully by a reputible breeder and a good incubator will yield that. PM me if you want to talk about ppl to get a nice transaction. I have had some good luck with some of the breeders out there.. I am very happy with my birds.... I don't mind the losses.. It was well worth it.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I sell my CBM eggs for $5 apiece. I have two pens, one is Bev Davis with larger birds, quieter dispositions blue genes in there, blue roo, one splash hen. The eggs tend to run a little lighter. The other is Wade Gene/Ron Presley stock, no blues, darker eggs, a little smaller birds. You can have from one pen or the other, or both, mix'n match.... That's my story and I'm STICK'n to-it!

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:What he said

10. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Where could we find a picture to see what they look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by