Black Copper Marans Roo X Blue Wheaton Ameraucana Hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dray67, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    I know this is a common combination for Olive eggers but will these be sex links? I have a chance to buy some hatching eggs from the set up and wondered what the chicksand adults might look like.
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    The chicken calculator says:

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html?mgt=E:E^R/E^R,Mh:Mh/Mh&fgt=E:E^Wh/E^Wh (Change the Bl: entry on the hen to from bl/bl to Bl/bl Andalusian Blue)

[​IMG]
    blue patterned red -necked/birchen
    Ratio = 1/4 = 25%

[​IMG]
    black patterned red -necked/birchen
    Ratio = 1/4 = 25%

[​IMG]
    blue patterned red -necked/birchen
    Ratio = 1/4 = 25%

[​IMG]
    black patterned red -necked/birchen
    Ratio = 1/4 = 25%

ps.. it's Marans, not Muran. The 's' should always be there. Same with Ameraucana, and not Amerchauna.

3. Dray67

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    Wow that is cool! I was hoping they might be able to be color sexed.
    Thanks for the spelling help. I will still never remember and spell check seems to have no idea.
    Dave

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Nope they wouldnt be sexlinked, remember you are working with two Gold gened birds and you have to have a gold gened male and a silver gened hen for it to work.

And yes the offspring should be Olive eggers and they should be blue and black copper split for wheaten so breeding them together will give some wheatens.

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Not all of the offspring will lay olive eggs. The birds that should lay the olive egg/blueish or green will be the birds that have the peacomb. There is a 3% chance that a single combed bird from this cross will lay an olive or blue/green colored egg. The single combed birds from this cross should lay a darker egg but not as dark as that of a Marans but very pretty eggs none the less. [​IMG]

6. Dray67

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    Quote:so grow out the hens until i can tell what kind of comb they will have.

7. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    You should be able to see upon hatch who has a single comb and who has virtually no comb, but I would give it a few days to 10 days to be sure. The single combs will be noticable but some of these crosses can have a slight combination of the two combs. I have one who has a combo of the two combs and she lays a light greenish egg.

edited because I had an afterthought [​IMG]

The bird that I have that has a combo of the two combs has a line of points but very small points running through the center of her comb, these points are points and fatter than the rest of the virtually no existant comb that she has, but they are not huge and prominant like the single comb points. It's just very clear to see that she got a little of both.

I have some babies growing out right now that are Olive Eggers crossed with my Welsummers that are 3 weeks old. The difference in the peacomb and the single are very distinguishable. Will try to get some photos tomorrow or Thursday for you if you would like and if it will help.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  8. Dray67

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    Quote:That would be wondefful! Thank you for your help.
    I think i will have the eggs shipped. If i hatch this time of year they sould be laying nice at the peak of next summer.
    Dave

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Haven't forgotten about you, just wanted to let you know that. Job I am working on has taken longer than scheduled. I will be able to get those pics for you tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by