black copper marans roo X RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lilshadow, Sep 10, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    If you cross breed these two birds, and got a hen from them what color would that off springs eggs be? Also, can you keep breeding the off spring to the roo until you have a marans hen? I hope that I make sense.

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    The eggs would probably be just a shade darker than a RIR. No matter how far you back-cross, your bird will never be a full blooded maran hen and can have the potential of throwing the traits of the RIR.

This practice you are talking about is used often when creating new varieties.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I thought it took 5 - 6 generations of line breeding to the sire and you'd have a new clan/maternal line? Yes, you'll probably have the odd one out pop up on a rare occassion but it should be true. Otherwise there are no pure chickens in the world, they're all just mutts. [​IMG]

lilshadow, you need to only breed the ladies that hatch from the darkest eggs. So, only hatch from the darkest eggs that you get. That's from what I've read from maran breeders willing to share information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by