Black Copper Marans roo x Silver Laced Wyandotte hen: are chicks sexlinked?

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,

I posted somewhere else asking this same question but came across a post on here which said my chicks would be sex linked.

The post said: The hen is silver. Her chicks will be red sexlinks. They won't look like typical hatchery red sexlinks, but the cockerels will be more silver/white and the pullets will be more golden.

Is this true?

Anyone have pictures of what the cross would look like?

Yes, that is correct, although with that particular cross you probably won't be able to see much difference until later on. Usually silver based sex links use paler breeds, typically Delaware hens and Rhode Island red roosters. The male chicks are white, the female chicks deeper yellow or red, so that they are easily sexed at birth. Since you are using two breeds that have a lot of black in them it will be trickier. But eventually the males will show silver leakage, and the females will show gold leakage. As of now, any chick showing reddish or brownish coloring anywhere in the down should be female.

Yes, that is correct, although with that particular cross you probably won't be able to see much difference until later on. Usually silver based sex links use paler breeds, typically Delaware hens and Rhode Island red roosters. The male chicks are white, the female chicks deeper yellow or red, so that they are easily sexed at birth. Since you are using two breeds that have a lot of black in them it will be trickier. But eventually the males will show silver leakage, and the females will show gold leakage. As of now, any chick showing reddish or brownish coloring anywhere in the down should be female.
Perfect! I just figured I'd see what I get with the cross but earlier sexing is a bonus! Thanks!

4 day old chicks. One looks a bit different, lighter colors showing through. Would the feathered feet be more likely to carry through on one vs the other? One has significant feathers on feet One is very mild feathers and one is none.

Attachments

• 20230414_215546.jpg
    20230414_215546.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230414_215834.jpg
    20230414_215834.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 20
Any guess based on the pics as to which is what gender? Can you see any colour differences in those?

Back
Top Bottom