1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Marans Roos - Good Eats??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carolynb, Nov 16, 2009.

1. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
    We have 7 Black Copper Marans Roosters that are 6 weeks old. We are trying to give them away (pick up only in MA). If we are unable to, we will most likely have them processed and eat them. Has anyone eaten BCM's? Are they good for eating? Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I've heard they taste like chicken. LOL Seriously, I've read on here that they are very good dual purpose birds. With the high priced eggs, most people don't bring it up. It seems riduculous to eat chickens from $8 each eggs, but I have some that are just a few weeks older than yours. I would say they could be butchered between 16-24 weeks like other dual purpose breeds.

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh yes! They are delicious.

4. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    You probably will cull the extra Roos. It is recommended to wait at least 6 months to pick from them so that their best qualities are evident. To early and you may miss something.
    As with most roos, I crock pot mine. It is great for soups, stews and casseroles. Burritos too. The pin feathers were hard to get out so depending on how you want to eat them you can pluck or skin.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:That is good added advise. I was going to suggest this as well.

6. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Quote:That is good added advise. I was going to suggest this as well.

What are the best qualities we are looking for?

7. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Oh boy, newbie here and still learning too. There is an ongoing post about the Marans. Look and you will find it. I don't know how to get the post to you, but it is over a year old and still going strong. You can learn and see pics of the best of them.

This is the name of it:

Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens by drom

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  8. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
  9. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    You can also go to the Maran Chicken Club of the USA and Marans of America club websites and they will tell you what the breed standard is and the genetics that go into breeding for desired traits. You want to stay as close to the standard as possible.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I kept back two roo prospects this summer. One barely made the cut, the other was HOT! Now months later, the HOT one is still very flashy colored, but his comb is not as nice and he is slighter built. The "barely made the cut" one is turning out to be a much more impressive looking boy, with a WAY better comb, heavier built, better tail set. Still not quite as flashy colored as the other roo, so they both stay for now. They don't get their full plumage and adult look until they are nearly a year old. No need to keep ALL of them that long, just choose the ones with obvious flaws first. I have been really surprised, both good and bad, with how some roos have turned out compared to how they looked at six weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by