black copper marans rooster which to keep

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Willowswife, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Willowswife

Willowswife Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    My Father in law had ordered some quail eggs and the guy sent him chicken eggs instead they were black copper marans I put them in the incubator and 8 hatched out 4 pullets and 4 roosters I want to keep 2 of the males and not the other 2 I am gonna post pic of the roosters you all can let me know which ones are more to breed standard..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Are you sure those are full blooded?

3. Willowswife

Dec 11, 2015
    Not sure my FIL gave them to me to hatch out the box they came in said Black copper marans I don't want to breed them just want to keep the best looking roosters They have not molted yet and they are only about 6 months old or so

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The standard requires feathered legs a solid black chest. That rules out quite a few of them.

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you are not going to breed them and since none of them are show quality (and therefore have little worth), I would keep the one with the best temperament and eat/rehome the rest.

Not sure why you want to keep 2 out of 4 when you only have 4 pullets. They are reaching adolescence and two lusty young cockerels will be hard on so few girls.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

None of them are really SOP quality. If you're planning on showing or breeding to the standard, don't keep any of them.

If you just like them and decided hey, since I've got them, why not keep a cockerel and breed some, then it really doesn't matter. Pick the one you like the best, has the best temperament, is respectful to you and nice to the hens.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

8. Willowswife

Dec 11, 2015
    I have a lot of different breeds of hens There are about 15 hens that I have for egg laying my daughter is gonna rehome 2 of the roosters and then the roosters will be ok I don't plan on breeding to standard just curious. I do have a bantam hen that is broody will it hurt her to have larger eggs under her to hatch out? from the bigger chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by