Black copper marans rooster x black sexlink hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mochicken, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have black sexlink hens, I have a local man willing to give me a black copper marans rooster, I do not know much about genetics so I have a couple questions

Would breeding them just create black and brown chicks with the same tan eggs my BSL's lay

Also would their chicks get the gene that creates the dark egg color or would they carry the hens traits and keep the light egg color?

I love the rooster and I will probably get him, I was just curious what impact he would have genetically on my flock.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Would breeding them just create black and brown chicks with the same tan eggs my BSL's lay ? Sort of. The eggs will be a slightly darker color, a sort of orange hue. The birds though will indeed be black with orange heads, some being almost pure black.

Also would their chicks get the gene that creates the dark egg color or would they carry the hens traits and keep the light egg color? Chicks will carry the gene for dark eggs but their eggs won't be very dark

I love the rooster and I will probably get him, I was just curious what impact he would have genetically on my flock. They'll basically look like a smaller version of a Black Copper Marans, but with speckled, orangey, or terra cotta colored eggs. Some may be a normal brown too, depending on the quality of the Marans

PS - Marans has an S at the end, plural or not. [​IMG]

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    K fixed it lol, I spell it marans over and over and my spell check corrects it [​IMG] spellcheck is not always your friend lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by