Black Copper Marans (selling prices)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Litewings, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Does anyone know the fair value of black copper marans:

Eggs are about $60.00 a dozen I believe not including shipping.

Chicks: ?

Adult hens?

Adult roosters?

Anyone Know?

[​IMG]

Litewings

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I think chicks go for around $15 depending on quality and where you are. Adult roos go for $25-50 and people just don't seem to sell hens...lol.

3. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I paid 90 plus shipping for a trio of 20 weeks old BCM's. And I paid 10 a chick for feather legged chicks from 8 shells. Just take a good hard look at the breeders selling, and the eggs, birds and chicks. Make sure they have a good rep there are a lot of people out there just trying to make a buck and they sell crap! And those people are everywhere.

Edited because I can't spell...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    I'm in North Carolina

So....... $10.00 to $15.00 for chicks.

$25.00 to $50.00 for adult Roos and

Lord only knows how much for hens.

Are feathered legs more valuable? (I believe that they are part of the standard.)

Litewings

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. davidr

davidr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Mokena, IL
    I saw some marans on craiglist a couple of weeks ago hens were $50.00 each

David

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:There is no FAIR value for anything, it is what someone is willing to pay, If I ask a price and dont hold a gun to your head, and you accept my price then that is fair. Would it be fair to sell you something for 2X what I sell it to the next person, Yes it would, but you as a buyer may not think so. Is it gonna be fair when the gotta have that breed phase ends, and is replaced with a new gotta have breed, and those with last year(or weeks) model is left with something that they can not give away. YES that is fair too. It is a free and market, so unless you are being forced to pay more than you are willing then it is Fair.

I once had a Masterchief who always said "whoever told you liffe was gonna be fair was a Gosh Darn Liar" <<< edited so no one else had to, remember he was a sailor his whole life, do you really think he said gosh darn ? [​IMG]

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i'm picking up some marans from a feed store (special order)

they dont know about the "maran hype".

so my chicks are $2.50 each

[​IMG]

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:What type of Marans? Oh the web we weave? Cuckoos I bet. That is not a bad thing [​IMG]

9. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    The chicks from a feed store are Cuckoo Marans and they (I've never seen a dark hatchery cuckoo maran egg.) dont lay the deep dark eggs everyone is after with the Black Copper Marans eggs. Also it's a hatchery bird and those are cheaper than the quality stock you will find with a breeder that has spent years on breeding to the standard.
    Just be aware of what your buying. I'm sure the birds are fine as layers. But dont expect those deep dark eggs from a hatchery bird, most dont lay any darker than say RIR's.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    when you go to pick up your marans, reject any with yellow legs or feet, including the bottom of the feet. Even a yellow tinge between the pads. Do NOT take any yellow footed "marans" ever. Good luck with your new birds! Post pics!!!! [​IMG] We all can never get enough baby pics...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by