Black Copper Marans Sources

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Oct 27, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Looking for good sources for both Hatching Eggs and/or Chicks. Aiming for next Spring but am beginning my search now.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I have an auction up right now - the auctions are a good place to find BYCers who have stock.

It's really hard to know what kind of results you'll get unless you have a list of questions to ask, such as:

What does your leg feathering look like?

Do you have mossiness crop up?

What is the AVERAGE egg color?

Do any of your birds have yellow skin?

...and so on.

If you buy eggs, know how to hatch them and ask what the feed regimen looks like at the farm they come from. It's crucial to have particularly good feed and these eggs don't hatch like other eggs due to low evaporation caused by the pigment layer.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:

I saw you say the above in your auction. Where did you get this information? Everyone else I know with Marans hatches them at 40-45% first 18 days, then 60-65% during lockdown. I would love to read the article/book where you got this, or hear from others that may use the lower humiditys.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:

I saw you say the above in your auction. Where did you get this information? Everyone else I know with Marans hatches them at 40-45% first 18 days, then 60-65% during lockdown. I would love to read the article/book where you got this, or hear from others that may use the lower humiditys.

After lots of efforts and watching other forums and threads, it was accumulated knowledge of many who said the same that clinched it for me. When hatching your own, not so much of a big deal. If you're hatching shipped eggs, it's a BIG DEAL.

Anyone else out there with a bit of wisdom? Agree? Disagree? I'm curious, too.

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Steve,

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! Go to the Marans thread under the "Breeds,Genetics & Showing" category, and post your request there. Lots of great Marans folks, and a great, fast moving thread for Marans info. Are you looking for Black Coppers, Blues, Blue Coppers, Wheatons, White, Cuckoo, Birchens? Many different breeders in there, with many different varieties! [​IMG]

Here is the link to the latest (as of right now!) page for this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383387&p=480

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by