Black Copper Marans - Time progression of sexing - UPDATED with WEEKs #1-3 PICTURES

Pics

chickenguysmom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Madison County, Alabama
I know it's early to tell what sex they are but I want to get early impressions of the genders. They are all 1 week old (born June1). There are 5 total babies and each has 3 pictures (except the last one Bebe - camera shy), so I am sorry for the heavy pictures. Also, kids picked the names and they are silly.

This is Chick #1 (Effie Trinkett)

This is Chick #2 (Tyson)

This is Chick #3 (Zane)

Chick #4 (Dakota)

Chick #5 (BeBe)

Any help you can offer will be appreciated. I will update pictures at about 3-4 weeks and we'll see how accurate your guesses are.

Last edited:
I think the first two are pullets and the 3rd one is a rooster. The other two are tuff for me to see. This is just a guess from the wing feathers.

Thanks for the guesses. I will post pictures again at 3-4 weeks and we'll see if it holds true.

RIR - can you give me some insight on what you are looking for when you look at the wing feathers?

ChickSlick - Rutt-row!
sad.png

Number 3 was the only one we have been sure of was a pullet? We are also hopeful for #1. The other 3 (#2, #4, & #5) sometimes look like pullets and sometimes like cockerels.

Can anyone tell me what to look for in the differences between the males and females? Marans is a new breed for us. I read through about 100 pages of the Marans thread and will try to get to the other 950 pages as time permits.

I am just interested to see what everyone thinks.

Back
Top Bottom