1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Copper Marans- *Update* Y'all were right!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tiss, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    EDIT: Here they are now at 7 weeks. You guys were right. It has to be two girls. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I posted this over in the marans section but I think the post got missed:

I hatched out 4 BCM chicks nearly 5 weeks ago. Sadly, 2 of them were eaten by a snake. I'm afraid the two I have left are little cockerels based on their stance and feathering patterns but I don't really know for the breed as these are the first I've had.

They are 4.5 weeks old now and so quick, it was next to impossible to take pictures that weren't blurred. One of them has copper flecked feathers coming in on his wings, I'm assuming this is an indication of a boy?

This is the one with the copper flecking.
    [​IMG]
    This ones wings are coming in black.
    [​IMG]
    Here is Mr. Copper flecks in the front and the other at the back with their EE sister in the middle.
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get some better pictures later. The good news is, I have 18 more BCM eggs incubating right now. I'm sure to get at least one pullet out of that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    I think they still could be pullets. My little BCM cockerels usually have comically large combs by 5 weeks.

3. Tiss

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks, I won't give up hope. They still don't have much in the way of comb, but their little legs look, well...not so little. Maybe it's the feathers that give them extra heft. [​IMG]

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:x2 - I had the same thing with my BCM chicks - the boys were very obvious early on.

The copper flecking on a female is just too much copper/not enough black and it's bleeding through.

5. Tiss

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I was able to get a couple more pictures. They will be 5 weeks tomorrow. They still don't have much comb, but sheesh, those legs!

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

I guess time will tell. I'm just impatient!

6. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    HI... I got some BCM eggs and 2 hatched. Mine R 5 weeks today. Took these pictures on 8/11, they were 4 weeks. Posting pics so we can compare.

[​IMG]

This one has me very puzzled...Can anyone give me any info on this one??

[​IMG]

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I've found that the black bits of color on the comb are a very promising sign of a female. The boys will sprout a comb fairly early, and it won't have a drabby appearance early on. I vote for two girls.

Lovable chicks... I can't tell on the first one because of the flash. But the second is a Wheaten colored female. (but look how pink the comb is! Color says girl... face... throwing me off!)

8. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Look like girls to me, of the 3 BCM's that hatched by 3-4 weeks it was easy to tell the difference in the cokcerels... here is a pic of a blue that is the same age as yours, notice the huge comb.
    [​IMG]

9. Tiss

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh good! I sure hope they're girls!

I guess I was thrown off because my Blue Orpington pullet feathered out so much faster. I guess the same isn't true for Marans.

Edit to add:

Loveable, your black looks more like a pullet to me than mine. I can't see her comb well, but she's all feathered out.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I will try to get a better picture...

Are these any better?

Both, the 2 bigger ones...

[​IMG]

Black one...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by