Black Copper Marans Vs. French Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lilorp14, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Lilorp14

Lilorp14 Songster

Sep 26, 2014
    VA
    So I'm interested in BCMs, but the hatchery I'm looking at lists them as French BCMs. Is there a difference? Also, which breed of Marans produces those deep chocolate eggs? I had Cuckoo Marans last year and they laid eggs just a slight shade darker than my Orpington's... It might depend on the hen but I'd think there'd be a breed that has the darkest....

Thanks!

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    French Black Copper Marans are the feathered legs original layer of dark brown eggs originated from Marans, France. Now hatcheries can be selling black Marans (kind of cheaper knock off) some are feathered legs some are not. I’m not sure what they cross bred them with but some will lay dark eggs and some will not. Not on standard, unlike if you can find reputable breeder of true FBCMs they are pretty strict on maintaining the quality birds, which normally you’ll pay more around $15-35 per chick and hatching eggs are also ranging from $5 to $15 an egg.

You are right on the cuckoos, they will only lay a shade or two darker eggs than regular brown eggs.

I got both cheaper Black Copper Marans and pricey ones from local breeder and I can tell the difference on their egg colors and quality of the birds and good feathering and temperament.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. BreezyBre

BreezyBre Songster

Apr 6, 2018
    San Diego CA
    I have one of each and it's interesting to watch them grow up they are quite different so far

4. Bombshell Betty

Bombshell Betty In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2019
    Was the French a bit smaller in comparison, by chance? I received a feather-legged BCM when I purchased my bcm (which I'm fine with) but the cuckoo I got at the same time that was supposed to be the same 4-5 days old is so much larger. I'm just trying to figure out why my BCM would be so tiny, unless they sold me the wrong bird...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: