Black Copper Marans.... why so $$$$???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nu2Chicks, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Nu2Chicks

Nu2Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Palm Springs
    I'm wondering why the Black Copper Marans cost so much more than other Marans
    varieties? Are they newer in this country, or harder to hatch/breed, or what?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think that particular variety lays the darkest egg. The blue egg and the very dark egg is all the "rage" now. It's supply and demand.

3. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    What Jean said.

And, they aren't harder to breed/hatch, but there is a very limited gene pool here in the U.S.

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    There is one breeder that is on ebay that is listed with the maran association. Her eggs are very sought after and I saw 4 of her black copper eggs go for 102.00. A little out of my price range. I did win her wheaten and cuckoo maran auction and her birds are outstanding. One day I would love to have some of her black copper ones though.

5. Nu2Chicks

Feb 29, 2008
    Palm Springs
    Equine Chick,

I'm one of those people who has some of her eggs cooking right now. I drove out to get them a week ago, and wound up paying $125 for those 6 eggs, she gives one extra. I also got some of her golden cuckoos so right now I have 24 cooking. She gave me an extra doz. goldens (maybe for driving out) Anyway, today is day 10 and so far early candling shows only 4 of the CB's growing, the other three were fertile, but nobody home. The Goldens, I have only lost 2 out of 18 so far. Very disapointing with the BC's.

How are your doing???

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

7. Nu2Chicks

Feb 29, 2008
    Palm Springs
    Cheryl,

YES! Dessert must go first! [​IMG] I checked there, and he doesn't or didn't have any at the time. He also sells on EggBid.com and sold his last a couple of weeks ago. I haven't seen any over there either lately. I'm impatient so I wanted them NOW. Impatience costs $$$$ I checked everywhere and those that sell em didn't have em. Not yet anyway.

thanks for the tip though, if you know of any others at a good price, think I'm going to want more.

Jo

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I don't know why, but my CB Marans eggs have NEVER done well in shipping. That is why I will only offer chicks now.

9. Nu2Chicks

Feb 29, 2008
    Palm Springs
    How interesting. So maybe they are more delicate than other marans. All I know is since I paid so much and it was only an hour away, I decided to pick them up in an attempt to
    reduce them being addled, and still the viability so far isn't great.

10. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I just won 12 black copper maran eggs from valentine at egg bid.com I will sure let you know how they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by