Black Copper Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantymama, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    My Marans are being shipped from Tn. tomarrow and should arrive on thursday. Iam so excited. I will be getting 3 hens and a roo. They are 9 1\\2 weeks old. Will i be able to tell them apart at this age. I am new to this breed and was told that they are pretty much pure Wade Jeane lines, like 96%. Some Cottage Hill would make up the rest. I will post pics when they get here.

2. DALBERT

DALBERT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    that is great. I have 18 black copper marans eggs it the battor now. should hatch tommorow. good luck with your new chicks

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    congrats on getting your firsties! Sounds exciting! At that age you should be able to tell cockerel from pullets by the combs. [​IMG]

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    There is no such thing as a Black Copper Marans outside the USA, everywhere else in the World and in the Official French Standard they are Brown-Reds.
    David

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:what does that have to do with this post I dont see anyone saying anything about them being outside of the US? [​IMG]

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] I have 9 BCM and 10 wheaten eggs in the bator right now!!![​IMG]

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

what does that have to do with this post I dont see anyone saying anything about them being outside of the US?

Marans are a French breed. I think this site is frequented by people from around the world, not just US.

The "Marans Club de France" calls them "noir couvré" then goes on to translate this as brown-red..... as one can see
    http://marans-club.club.fr/ncui.htm#ncui

However anyone who has any French will know that noir translates to black rather than brown. Oh well C'est la vie.... [​IMG]

We call them copper blacks in UK. [​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Marans are a French breed. I think this site is frequented by people from around the world, not just US.

The "Marans Club de France" calls them "noir couvré" then goes on to translate this as brown-red..... as one can see
    http://marans-club.club.fr/ncui.htm#ncui

However anyone who has any French will know that noir translates to black rather than brown. Oh well C'est la vie.... [​IMG]

We call them copper blacks in UK. [​IMG]

I know that (that theres not just people in the us here) however that person seemed to be educating us for saying black coppers like it was wrong or something. That's what I know them as that's what I call them. [​IMG] This lady is in the US and getting her birds from Tenn (us state) so ergo black coppers are what most of us call them. I could see if the OP asked what they were called, they just asked if they'd be able to tell cockerel from pullet...not what they were called in the french standard.

9. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I can see your point....
    It can be difficult at times because there are so many names for the same breed &/or colour around the world. Also so many different names for the same colour pattern.....it gets confusing. [​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:lol yeah i still have a TON to learn about them myself, all I know right now is I love these birds I have and hopefully someday I have a flock I can be proud of. BTW all the info i've seen you post so far is really facinating to me...keep it up please! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by