black copper marans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eggcellent Adventure, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Thinking of ordering some black copper maran chicks from Meyers Hatchery. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience regarding the breed... How often do they lay? Does the breed make good pets (kids here)? Anyone order them from Meyers before? Thanks!

2. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I'm just about to start an incubator with some black and blue copper marans. I wanted them for the brown eggs. I did a bit of reading- they are meant to lay a decent amount of dark brown eggs, be good to eat and quite friendly. If you get some chicks I'd love to see some pics [​IMG]

3. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    I just got an order last night of 3 Rare Maren Mix from Meyer's. They put 2 heat packs in with them and they arrived here very fast. They are doing pretty good. From the choices I might receive, I ended up with on Golden Cuckoo, one White and one Blue Splash. I was hoping for a Black Copper! [​IMG] But I love my little girls!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry, no good answers here. I have one, but she's only about 7 weeks old right now. She's just now getting some very nice feathers with an almost iridescent sheen on them. So far she's also very friendly. She's the next-to-least flighty out of all my chicks (that order would go - least to most flighty - RIR, BCM, Buff Orpingtons, Black Giants).

So far, so good!

5. eddie w

eddie w Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    i have a black cooper maran roo that is a very frendly bird but big and is really tough on the girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by