Black Copper Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by char259, Jun 29, 2011.

1. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    This is my hen Henrietta. She was abused by her last Roo (before I got her) so she is growing out some new back and tail feathers. And at some point in time her upper beak has been broken (or something)... but anyway. I bought her as a BCM. I keep reading that BCMs have feathers on their feet..... and Henrietta doesn't. As far as I know she still does not lay although on another post I was told she might not lay the really dark eggs and I do get two light brown eggs a day. I also have a Buff Orpington and a Silver Lace Wing Wyandotte.

Is she? Or isn't she.. a BCM

[​IMG]

That's Nickle in the background - one of my EEs.

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Not all Marans have feathered legs. The "French" strains do, but some American strains do not.

3. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Thank you spiritdance!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I am not an expert with BCMs, but to me, that actually looks like a Black Sex-Link hen. The light brown egg especially points away from the BCM since they are supposed to lay dark brown.

I can't see her beak really well, but the part that is missing could be a result of de-beaking. It's a common practice to remove a portion of the top beak by commercial facilities so that the hens don't turn to cannabilism from the stress of being overcrowded.

Either way, she's beautiful, and looks to be much happier in her new home. Grats on your pretty girl!

5. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Thanks Pele

The problem with the eggs is I have 3 hens who lay brown eggs but I've never gotten more than 2 brown eggs a day (both are light brown). So I don't know which two are laying them. [​IMG]

Someone suggested to 'color code' them with food coloring at/in their vents but I haven't had the time to do that. So I don't know if she's laying at all, much less what color her eggs are/could be. hahaha The beak concerned me at first but she manages to eat and drink just fine.

I do believe she is much happier (she is certainly healthier) with me and she has a forever home. I just would REALLY like to have some of those dark brown eggs! [​IMG]

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I would say black sexlink pullet or BCM mix. I have a production red x BCM pullet that could be your girls twin [​IMG] She's got very sparse feathering on her legs though. [​IMG]

You should be able to tell in the egg color. My girl laid her first egg today--it was lighter than a Marans but much darker than the typical brown egg layer.

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

To my eye Henrietta looks like a Black Sexlink. Nickle is very pretty too.

It would be nice if there were a good way to determine who laid the egg(s). I have heard of trap nests...but then you would have to be there to attend the chicken (to release her), and for that you could just watch the pop door to see who went in just before the egg was laid.

I guess you have 3 hens and get 2 brown eggs daily. Were you gettting two daily before Henrietta? The day you get 3 you will know they all came through for you. :O)

How nice that you have given her a good home.

8. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    I would say some sort of BCM cross. And as stated before they don't HAVE to have feathered shanks. If you're breeding to the French standard and i'm fairly certain the American standard that was just accepted by the APA also must have feathered shanks. But if they don't it doesn't make them any less Marans. The English standard have clean shanks. You'll still get clean legs from birds that have feathered legs at times. I have three chicks upstairs that recently hatched out and one is clean while the other two are feathered. It's all a question of genetics, which can get rather complicated! [​IMG]

You should post pictures of her first egg!!!!

9. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    she looks exactly like my Black Sex Link Pullets that are around 6 months old, cant guarantee thats what it is but they look identical. They are sweet girls, always talking to me and following me around lol. They lay some nice lighter brown eggs and are VERY reliable layers, even for pullets that have been laying for less than a month they lay every single day.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    She looks like my Black Star. One thing I've noticed about my BCM is how loose her feathers lay, compared to the Black Star. Here's photos of both for your comparison:

My Black Star as a younger pullet

[​IMG]

Same Black Star at 2 1/2 years old (lays light brown eggs)

[​IMG]

9 Month old BCM (french type - lays very dark eggs). Note the looser feathering and the fluffier tail

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by