black copper marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vanislechick, Feb 11, 2014.

1. vanislechick

vanislechick New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Hello!
    I have 4 black copper marans, they are all about 3 1/2 months old. Two of them are very copper colored and two are more black. I have yet to figure out how to determine if their a cockerel or pullet. What is the easiest way to tell? One also has very crooked toes, it does just fine getting around but is that an inherited trait?
    Thanks!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    if you could post a pic up we might be able help you out better[​IMG]

3. vanislechick

vanislechick New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I tried to get good ones but it's raining and cold and they don't stop moving :) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. vanislechick

vanislechick New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Sorry about the double photos I'm trying to figure out this app thing here's a couple more [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    OH BOY sorry to tell you, ALL 4 of them are roosters.

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    They all have large combs and waddles, hackle feathers, saddle feathers and sickle feathers. These are what you look for when determining gender.

You have 4 very beautiful boys.

7. vanislechick

vanislechick New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I was wondering! They all kinda looked the same. So what makes the best rooster for breeding? Gotta keep one of them! And why are they 2 different coloring?

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    The ones that are lacking copper at this age are over melanized which causes them to be too dark which means their copper areas are more mahogany in their neck and likely black in the saddle area they likely also have dark eyes, they should be reddish bay colored.

The ones with the copper on the necks/hackles are much better for use in breeding though we would need to see better pictures of both of them preferably, standing upright and still meaning both feet under them not walking.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'll address the crooked toe issue:

It's not a trait that gets passed down. It's usually caused by a vitamin deficiency in the hen when the egg is created. SOMETIMES it is caused by an injury to the chick, but it's more common for them to hatch with it. The vitamin deficiency could be due to lack of proper feed, or just the hen being picky about what she eats. A good free-ranging hen SHOULD get everything her body needs to properly create the egg. But while you can put out a full balanced diet of feed, there's no guarantee the hen will eat it. And just because she is free-ranging, doesn't mean she's eating everything her body needs. A hen who only grazes on grass is going to miss out on a lot of protein, where as a hen who eats only BUGS is going to miss out on a lot of basic vitamins. Most commonly, this problem comes up with a lack of vitamin B, and there are supplements out there that can be fed to the chickens to prevent it. But again, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force him to drink it.

And chickens are the same way when it comes to their feed!

10. vanislechick

vanislechick New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice! Really appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by