Black Copper Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nupine, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok, I am seriously think about building a fancy coop and getting a bunch of these. Why? I have seen 6+ eggs go for over $200 on ebay and eggbid. That is alot of money if you ask me for eggs. My question is, are they really that profitable? If they were, wouldn't you think everyone would get these and quit their day job? Are they worth getting?
    Ashlyn

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think they're a fad and probably by the time you get yours old enough to lay they may be out of style. I've had the cuckoos for six years. I got them from a breeder and they lay very dark eggs too. I got some wheaten Marans this year but they aren't laying yet, so I don't know how dark their eggs will be.

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

What has made them so popular? Just curious...

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

People want the dark eggs that they lay, but my plain old cuckoos lay a dark egg too, and don't cost you an arm and a leg.

5. EllyMae

I personally like the cuckoo marans better..but I'm also a barred rock nut, so go figure. I wanted to get some of the cuckoo marans because I love the dark color of the eggs.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I just got some eggs. I will be selling eggs next year and not for an astronomical price(to people that are serious about the breed, not the $$$$$). I think people are just gouging and compromising the breed integrity by jumping on the *money train*. I just wanted some pretty dark eggs to go with my blue,green,white,and tan eggs and found some nice people willing to share [​IMG] . If you are just doing it for an investment, I'd say don't bother, there will be so many available next year the price will drop dramatically cuz the market will be flooded when all the eggs/chicks that are being sold now start laying. Just my 2 cents

Krista

7. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    *The Black Copper variety is rare in this country

*NONE of the large commercial hatcheries are producing them; only small breeders are

*The gene pool and lines breeders have to work with, relative to other breeds, is very small

*Additional stock can not be imported from France (the country of origin) because of the federally mandated ban on importation

*There are several varieties of Marans but the Black Copper is the most popular, not just here, but in France where they are plentiful. Partially because they are said to lay the darkest eggs (egg color really varies so you can't count on that) but also because people find them to be attractive

*You will hear a lot of people complaining about the price for them, and those people should consider a more common variety which is being bred on a very large scale by the commercial hatcheries but also by many small breeders and is more plentiful;such as the cuckoo.

Simple supply and demand are the reasons for the cost. Not because there is some horrible conspiracy by a group of unscrupulous breeders out to fleece people. There are probably some breeders out there who are taking advantage of the situation I'm sure, but the general, universal rule of supply and demand is the primary reason.

If the price is in your budget find a reliable, good breeder and get them! They are wonderful birds-I love mine [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Well said drom !!! I have them as well . And I love them. I paid good money for those day old babies and soon they will be laying (In Oct. I hope) And I will be selling some of mine as well. I am sure I would not be so fortunate as others who has sold on eggbid for $300.00 plus for 12 chics. But they are worth what one is willing to pay for them. So go ahead and build that coop !!! Get ready and get you some BCM babies !!!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just think it's nuts to pay that much tho if all you want is some nice dark eggs. I just don't think those prices will continue and if you're in it to make that kind of money I just don't think it's going to happen for most people. My cuckoos lay a nice dark egg. These are eggs from my cuckoos that I set last spring. They're dark enough for me!! [​IMG]

10. EllyMae

Quote:I wish we lived closer to each other! I LOVE the color that your eggs have. They are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by