black copper ROO?

dhilling

Chirping
Dec 13, 2017
Hello, I hatched some (of my own) marans and 2 of them i'm assuming are roosters. both are the same age,size and larger comb about 4-5 months. anyway, the one on the right is showing good signs of being a copper rooster. the one of the left is all black with only copper neck. before I get rid of him could he be a she? never saw a copper marans without copper color going down the backside. note: I did have 2 pure totally black marans hens. could this be what the offspring roosters look like?

Attachments

• rooster.jpg
    rooster.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 21
Hold the phone....

I think they are likely both cockerals...HOWEVER....

Black Copper Marans hens do NOT have gold going down their backs, not well bred ones. That is called "mossy back" and is a default.

A good female BCM will be all black in body with gold at hackles only. They also can be precocious in comb size.

BCM males will have a black body with red on wing bows and gold often on saddle and even back.

The bird on the right is definitely a BCM rooster.

I think I see saddle feathers on the bird on the left...but I'm not sure as the photo is a bit grainy on my monitor. There is a possibility that is a mature female BCM ready to lay....though if saddle feathers male...typically male BCM will have red on bows, but sometimes that does come in later.

So there is a bit of hope.
LofMc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom