1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Black Copper to Cukoo? what would I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silverfilly, Sep 17, 2008.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok, What would I get if I bred a Black copper to a cuckoo? Since cuckoo is sexlinked would the first gen be black or cuckoo?

Thanks

2. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    anyone????

3. wclawrence

wclawrence Songster

It depends on which way you breed it. But then again I don't know if Cuckoo and Barring are the same.
    If they are, you can sexlink them by breeding a "black copper" rooster to a cuckoo hen. Roosters will have barring.

4. kinnip

kinnip Songster

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm not sure how that would play out, but I do know a good place to ask. Go to Yahoo groups and search for the Marans Chicken Club. There are some folks with a lot of breeding experience there.

5. drom

drom Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    You know there is a great section on the French Marans web site on cross breeding the different varieties. They do not recommend breeding the varieties which are not genetically similar. So apparently the Black Copper, Blue Copper, Blue and Birchen are genetically similar. But the cuckoo is different. Here is the link if you are interested. It is translated from French so the terminology is a little odd but it's readable. The French have different names for the varieties- Black Copper is Brown Red, Blue Copper is Golden Blue and Blue is Silver Blue:

http://marans-club.club.fr/varieang.htm#varietes

6. kinnip

kinnip Songster

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    The one thing I do know about that cross is that you'll lose the dark, dark egg colour.

7. drom

drom Songster

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:Yep, that's what everyone says

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: