1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black CopperMarans Roo with Golden Laced Wyandotte Cross

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer-John, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Farmer-John

Farmer-John Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    I just set Black Copper Marans crossed with Golden Laced Wyandottes, first time for this cross. Anyone out there have any experience with these.. Both are great layers and the Marans grow rather quickly, hoping to get some more great layers with some faster growing roasters.

Any information would be appreciated..

Thanks,

John

2. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    How did they turn out? Pics?

3. Farmer-John

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    Actually, they hatched out quite well. I still need to take some pics.. Sorry..

Interestingly, on some the wyandotte gene was more prevelent and like wise with the marans... looking forward to seeing how they look after about 4 months.

The darker colored birds on my avatar are some of them, can't really tell with that pic though.

All in all though, they are very healthy and growing well. I just moved my Red Rangers out to the big barn but my hatch and barred rocks are still in the garage brooder.. I have 40 in the garage brooder and 50 in the barn brooder.. Got some butchering to do at the end of May..
    Should hold us for a while,, but you know when it's butchering time, friends and familywill be around... So some will be walking off the farm. LOL
    It's all good though, that's really the best part having friends and family together, processing some chickens and just having a good time while we work..

Thanks for inquiring.. [​IMG]

4. Suskm

Suskm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2012
    Fort Valley GA
    How did this Marans/ Wyandotte cross work for you? Did you ever get pictures of the birds after they matured? I am thinking of doing the same thing...curious.

5. Farmer-John

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    Suskm,

Sorry for the late reply... This time of year keeps me very busy between animals and planting..

The cross produces some beautiful birds, (sorry, no pics yet).. Size seems to be about average, about the size of a normal rock. The one cross that I produced was a buff orpington with a barred rock, they seem to have better than average size. Either way, they will make for good table fair if that's your goal.. all of my Marans/Wyandotte crosses are hens so they'll be put back into the layer house.

Thanks and good luck.

6. Sarplaninec

Sarplaninec Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Rock Hill, New York
    Like to see some photos Farmer John.

7. jennak242

jennak242 Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Do you happen to have pictures of these? I've been thinking about doing the same with mine but was interested in seeing what they look like. I know this is a old post but hey gotta give it a shot. I can't find anything online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by