black coppers blue coppers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bumblebeehillschickenfarm, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    i would like to know if i breed my blue copper marans rooster to black copper hens what colors will i get. How can i get blue coppers i only have 1 pr of bevs blue coppers and wanted to know how the best way to get more blue. i didnt want to breed my pair back to the baby chicks and looking for new blood through my black coppers.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I tell ya what, you send me the fertile eggs from that "pairing" and I'll let ya know...hehehe
    Kidding, only kidding

3. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    i will be selling some in the spring. i am trying to get this blue thing straight. Is there anyone that can help me.

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Just a guess (not sure how close genetics in chickens are to other animals) but, if bk is dominate, you would have to breed bl to bk take those and breed them back to bl and you should get some blues.

5. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    If you breed black to blue you will get (approximately) 50% blue, 50% black. Blue to blue would give you 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. Black to splash would give you 100% blue.

6. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    thank you so much i new their was a way people were doing it so i wanted to here it from some experts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by