Black Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hooligan, Aug 29, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I usually don't post in here but I figured if any of you guys knew (not coming up with anything on the net) it would be the meaties LoL
    I have a few work friends who's parents have grower houses. They said that the last few times the chickens came in that a few were black, but grew just like the white ones? Are there black Cornish Xs?
    If so has anyone got pictures of them. He said they were not black broilers that look semi-normal.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I van honestly say I have no idea--- I don't even know the correct name of the meat birds I order........

Maybe someone else can chime in here.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    There are dark cornish. But what you are likely seeing is the result of years of line breeding and recessive characteristics started to show up or the hatchery has added a little new blood to the line and it has brought out the characteristic.

That would be my best guess.

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    Quote:i agree this would make the most sense.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Australorp X??? That would be cooooll [​IMG]

I'd love some dark feathered chickens that grow like Cornish do.

6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well these are commercial, they get about 40,000 per house at a time so I don't think Australorp would be an option.
    But I was thinking the same thing about the dark or black Cornish...but how in the hell would it get mixed in with the commercial stock? I mean this is not a small company, its very large, very. so I would think it would be odd to add it in.
    I will take pix when they get to me and chart their progress to see if they grow the same, but I will have them on a super low protein/high calcium diet to stunt their growth a bit.

On a bit of an off note, of the 3 families I know that have grower houses...none of them knew what the chickens were called that lived there [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    there are red and black meat birds (ideal sells them) they do mature a bit slower maybe 2 weeks than the regular white cornish x's. Maybe they were mis-shipped?

I dunno about the recessive gene, these guys have been line bred so much I think if it was a recessive gene it'd be a lot more common.

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  9. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Since this is a food corp that has their own breeder farms and hatcheries nothing could be misshipped really. I am thinking of the recessive gene (like some others here) I was just curious as to what other things it could be. I talked to another lday who has grower houses and she said she has been getting some with red feathering in, but she has no idea why. She said they look no different either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by