Black Crested White Polish question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rock N' Faverolles, May 20, 2010.

1. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I have a lot of these that are a month old if and was wondering if they have a lot of black in the body if they will eventually molt into white feathers or if they will stay black? I want to know so I can make a choice on culling them now or waiting until they are older. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

David

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Black crested whites are not the opposite of white crested blacks. They are supposed to Have some black in the hackles and chest area. I do not have my SOP handy, so I don't know exactly what is required, but I know that the black is not only in the crest.

3. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    They are not a silver white bird with an inky black crest. The white is kind of bone or off white and usually the crest is something way less than the greenish black of a black bodied Polish. Color other than what's in the crest is not wanted, at least not by the breeders in the Netherlands who supplied eggs for the importation into North America. However, some color in the neck is often a reality. Hatching huge numbers and letting them grow and then culling will improve lots with these birds over a few generations. It was done that way in the beginning but it seems no one has them now who is able or willing to put up with the numbers required to be able to cull and select for improved quality.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:Genetically they are just that.

5. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I know what the birds are to look like. I was wondering if their feather color will change as they grow or if the color they are as young chicks stays the same. I want to cull them out if they won't get anymore white on them. I.E. partridge color it takes the females quite a few months until they start getting the penciling they need so you can't cull them for their color until they are older.

David

6. Hillside

Hillside Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Quote:Genetically they are just that.

Could they be full of color modifiers that create the off white color and dull black crests? This variety has had a tough time here mainly because everyone expects them to be a shining, silver white with glossy black crest and even the best of them are not. I've seen these in the growing stages and color can clean up some but I don't know if this is a good answer. The birds were very variable and it was a long time ago. If there is room to grow them out and see what you have before culling there might be something to learn from them even if the end results are not so hot.

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    To get your silver shiny you must get rid of autosomal red and maybe apply some gold diluters.
    Also sun and feed may affect your birds.
    Find some shiny silver breed like lakenvelder. That is what you can accomplish.
    The lack of shine on the black is due to the nature of the melanizers that blacken the crest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by