Black Crust on Comb and Wattle + Swelling and Watery Eye

beagle2

Hatching
May 23, 2021
Hello,

We’re based in Hampshire, UK and are trying to breed Pekin Bantams.

Our rooster has persistent black specks on his comb and wattle.

Also one side of the wattle was swollen and his eyes were watery.

We’ve isolated him from the flock and have been keeping him indoors. The swelling and watery eyes have gone but the black comb crust remains.

Searching previous posts suggest the marks could be pecking; this is definitely not the case as he his 100% the boss.

Any ideas?

I did fear some sort of Mycoplasma due to the watery eye, however the rest of the flock are healthy and other that the black gunk he’s fit and well

thanks

Attachments

• 6A7EDBB1-7ED5-4E07-8C22-AA359B8BBF24.jpeg
    6A7EDBB1-7ED5-4E07-8C22-AA359B8BBF24.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 67C7C26B-4A91-4FCC-B845-779994BF32EE.jpeg
    67C7C26B-4A91-4FCC-B845-779994BF32EE.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 11
Hello,

We’re based in Hampshire, UK and are trying to breed Pekin Bantams.

Our rooster has persistent black specks on his comb and wattle.

Also one side of the wattle was swollen and his eyes were watery.

We’ve isolated him from the flock and have been keeping him indoors. The swelling and watery eyes have gone but the black comb crust remains.

Searching previous posts suggest the marks could be pecking; this is definitely not the case as he his 100% the boss.

Any ideas?

I did fear some sort of Mycoplasma due to the watery eye, however the rest of the flock are healthy and other that the black gunk he’s fit and well

thanks
Roosters absolutely get pecked by the hens. My head hen really put the boots to my rooster one morning and bloodied him up good. The marks on your boy are peck marks.
Please post pictures of the swelling and the watery eye. Those are reasons for concern, not the peck marks.

Back
Top Bottom