Black diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kansas3, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kansas3

kansas3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    have a silkie hen that has been sitting since Feb 8th I do take her off if the next to eat and drink. as of yesterday she had blk diarrhea and smells bad. had the same today. no consistency just liquid. this is her second time sitting she just hatched 7 chicks on Dec. 21. 6wks later she is sitting again. she is eating and drinking. should I be concerned. she is about 9 month old. does not act sick.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of her poo? Silkies will go broody constantly, but they can be broken from it in 3-5 days if you take away eggs, put them in a cage with food and water and little bedding. I don't think it is healthy for them to sit every time they feel like it. I only let them sit when they are hatching eggs maybe once a year.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. kansas3

kansas3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    already disposed of waste, will get pic tomorrow if it happens again. it is just pure black, pure liquid and smells bad. Am new to raising chickens , have had chickens about 8 month's. All advice is appreciated. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by