Black dots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OliveChicken, Mar 1, 2017.

1. OliveChicken

OliveChicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Hello,
    I have three buff orpingtons (7mos old)and all three have recently developed black dots on their combs. They have also decided to sleep outside of their coop on the roosting pole, locked up. It's been getting down to about 28 degrees here at night. So I'm wondering if avian pox or frostbite?? I have three pullets that are in quarantine, ready to be introduced to the original flock, but I don't want to do so until this black dot stuff I figured out. That's so much for your feedback! I'd post a pic,but I need to figure out to do so first [​IMG]

2. OliveChicken

OliveChicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like another chicken pecked her comb.

4. Feder-Feet

Feder-Feet New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    I think the same. I had three roosters running with 15 hens I noticed black dots on their combs ( roosters only) when I touched them it was like a scab/dried blood. I separated to roosters and no more dots on the combs. I guess the rooster were not getting along so well

5. OliveChicken

OliveChicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    I really hope that it's some minor pecking, me being overly paranoid and not pox. However, all three of my hens have this! May they are finally reestablishing order after we lost one last month. Thank you!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It could also just be scabs formed from insect bites. Either way, as long as you observe their behaviour for possible pecking, I wouldn't be overly worried about it.

7. OliveChicken

OliveChicken New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    I'll try to see if I can wipe it off with a warm cloth. Here's to hoping it's just scabs! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by