1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black dots on Silkie chicken's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lolos, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Hi BYC,

So my Silkie Rooster has some little black dots on his comb (none on waddles). I don't see them anywhere else so far. We tried wiping it with warm water and nothing really came off, just a little bit of brown on the cloth. We tried scraping a little with my thumb nail and maybe a very tiny bit came off. Any ideas or advice as to what this could be would be very much appreciated, pics attached (the bit of white is some leftover DE). Thank you.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there,
    I think it looks like your rooster has frostbite.
    I am not entirely sure but that's what I think it may be.
    Goodluck,
    Fionn.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2.Looks like frostbite.Frostbite can occur when there is a lack of ventilation or it occurs when its cold(Happens to all of us).Rooster are more prone to frostbite because they have big combs.You can cover there comb with Vaseline to prevent frostbite but in your case i would buy Vetericyn will kill all the germs to prevent spreading of frostbite.

4. bullets

bullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2016
    Camdenton, Missouri

So, frostbite spreads by germs?

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Frostbite usually wont spread but in this case they were touching the tissue which will usually make it spread.It can become infected.Vetericyn will kill the germs in the comb .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Living in Aus, I have no experience with frostbite but that looks more like fowl pox to me?

7. bullets

bullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2016
    Camdenton, Missouri

This is what I was thinking as well..

8. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Yes it could be that, you're right. We have a couple heat lamps in their coop but it has been pretty cold the last couple nights. May have to add a few more lamps. Thank you!

9. lolos

lolos Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016

Thanks for the second opinion of frostbite as well. Great idea on the Vaseline, I have read about that before but forgot. It would make sense because he does have the biggest comb by far, we have an antibacterial/antibiotic that I can treat with topically since we were messing with it and maybe put some Vaseline over it. Thank you!

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No need for a heat lamp.Frostbite happens .But as the others said it might be fowl pox.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by