1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black dots on the legs a hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensonthefarm, Jan 28, 2014.

1. hensonthefarm

hensonthefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Title says it all.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you post a picture please. That would be very helpful. Is it black patches like frost bite or are the black places raised on her legs.? More information is needed.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree that a picture would help. Some breeds of chickens may have dots on the legs--my hatchery ancona has some. Some barred or cuckoo varieties may show spots on the legs. Some diseases can cause them too, and bruises would show up as spots.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  5. hensonthefarm

Dec 30, 2013
    I will try to get a pic posted. She is a BR hen just a year. I know its not frost bite.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do they look like this picture?

[​IMG]

7. hensonthefarm

Dec 30, 2013
    Do they look like this picture?

[​IMG]
    Yes, just not so big black dots more like the size of a pea. Thank you casportpony for the pictuer.

8. Firgey

Firgey New Egg

May 9, 2010
    Harrah Oklahoma
    my BR hen has just got black spots on her legs , what is this ???? i had a banty die a few days ago and she had it also. she was a BR too

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The spots in this picture are from Marek's:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by