Black Duck Skin

WPFarmstead

Songster
Mar 9, 2016
North Idaho
I want to get or breed a duck with black skin. I'd love some more info on either black skinned ducks or duck breeds with darker skin to use as a starting stock.

Do you know of any off the top of your head that are darker than white?

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Hopefully, I can find some ducks with darker colored skin and go from there.

Put one out in the sun without sunblock?
lol.png

Sorry, I don't pay much attention to the skin color, just wasn't aware of a black skinned domestic duck.
Good luck with your project

My Cayugas have pink and black skin. Long story short my older ducks ripped out some back feathers of one of my new additions. Her back skin was pink and black. It looked sort of like the skin on a wet white dog or horse skin under wet white fur. I'm positive that it wasn't skin bruising or bleeding. It was actual skin pigmentation.

I haven't seen the skin of all my ducks so I don't know if they all have this mottling. But all of their tongues are mottled pink and black.

If you're raising meat ducks, the historical notes for Cayugas show that it was difficult to pick the feathers out due to their dark skin/ dark feather color combo. I havent personally dealt with this because my ducks are for eggs, bug patrol and pets.

Black skin? Are you talking about feathers? Because if you are I think you need to do a lot more research before even considering getting a duck.

I'm not sure there is a duck with black skin. In the traditional domesticated types, there is not, that I am aware of.

Black skin? Are you talking about feathers? Because if you are I think you need to do a lot more research before even considering getting a duck.

No, the skin itself. I actually have owned ducks for several years. I want to produce a duck that had black skin similar to a silkie having black skin.

I'm not sure there is a duck with black skin. In the traditional domesticated types, there is not, that I am aware of.

Do you know of any off the top of your head that are darker than white?

I know Cayugas have black feet, feathers and bills, but their skin is white.

I love my cayugas, but you're right. They have white skin.

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Hopefully, I can find some ducks with darker colored skin and go from there.

Oh, that's great news. I will have to look into that further. Too bad I only have 1 cayuga drake. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe Black East Indies? They seem to be darker than Cayungas. Are you wanting skin like those chickens (I saw on Iron Chef one time) where the meat was black, the comb was black, everything was black. That would be interesting. Hope you can find some.

Maybe Black East Indies? They seem to be darker than Cayungas. Are you wanting skin like those chickens (I saw on Iron Chef one time) where the meat was black, the comb was black, everything was black.  That would be interesting. Hope you can find some.

Yes, I'm looking to develop a black skinned duck to be able to sell to our Asian community, which loves the black skin of Silkies. I was partly inspired by that episode, which I just recently watched. It's basically just a side project to do with my ducks, while I breed my cochins into better meat birds.

I believe East Indies ducks have pink or white skin.

Back
Top Bottom