1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. ShamrockCreek

ShamrockCreek New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Maine, New York
    Hi everyone,

My hen that has been laying on eggs for 2 weeks ears have turned black. I also noticed that the tips of her ears are black too. She is eating fine and when she leaves the eggs for a short period of time to drink, eat..etc, she is very energetic. Any suggestions on what would make her ears turn red to blackish and what can I do for her?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Picture?

3. ShamrockCreek

ShamrockCreek New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Maine, New York
    The way she is laying right now I can not get a good picture. Too dark and she is now facing more toward the back. I will keep trying!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. ShamrockCreek

ShamrockCreek New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Maine, New York
    [​IMG]

5. ShamrockCreek

ShamrockCreek New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Maine, New York
    Ok I put in a picture. To the left of her eye where it is black is what use to be red! Any ideas?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like she's got naturally dark skin. The reason she's lost the bright coloring is because she is brooding and not actively laying. Her egg production cycle is 'dormant'.

1 person likes this.
  7. ShamrockCreek

ShamrockCreek New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Maine, New York
    Thank you junebuggena!! I was so worried! I wondered if it had to do with her not being active. I am new at this chicken hatching thing. Thank you for easing my mind! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by