Black East Indie Hen with FOAMY Eyes-Please Help

Duckman 17

Songster
14 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Braidwood, IL
Today my daughter brought me her little BEI hen named Speckle, with both eyes filled with white icky foam. One eye was so bad that it was restricting her vision. We wiped the foam out and quarantined her in a breeding pen. We have had ducks for the past 4 years, but never one with foamy eyes. My guess is some sort of infection.

Any advice on how to treat this would be very appreciated. My daughter is quite upset.

Last edited:
do hey ave access to water?
If not, it can just be poor hygiene.
Another possible cause could be CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) There is no cure for that, antibiotics will help the symptoms but the bird will carry it for life and can spread it to every other bird there.

Good thing is, the poor hygiene thing is pretty common on ducks, especially if they dont have swimming water, I think it's called dry duck syndrome, basically they just cant clean themselves as well as they should. If it does have full access to water, then it is some form of infection with CRD being on top of the list. Is there any swelling, or just has that water foam coming from it?

She and the others have had full time access to water all winter. I use freeze protected 3 gallon buckets for the winter. I have not set up the large tubs or kiddie pool for them, since we are still having nights below freezing.
Also my backyard has been flooded a lot lately and the ducks were in heaven.

I do not see any swelling around her eyes or anywhere else. The immediate area around the foamy eyes does look rough and irrateted.
Besides the foamy eyes, the only thing that seems to be upsetting her is being alone. She quacked all day whenever the others were near.

I will be heading to the local feed store tomorrow, do you suggest any medications?

Thanks for your help so far.

you might want to give a vet a call if you are thinking about antibiotics because water fowl are very sensitive to certain meds.. a vet could probably look up for you what is the best to use. or maybe even look on line.. have you tried cleaning her eyes out with saline wash or even putting a little neosporin w/o pain relief in and around the eyes.. but she might need an antibiotic internally too..

they arent as sensitive as people think, most of the old school meds that caused problems are now off the market anyway. She most likely has a respiratory infection then. any oxytetracycline based med will help if this is indeed the case. It's good that there is no swelling as that would be MG which is incurable, they will get better but will always be carriers of it.

Back
Top Bottom